The home club of Olympic Laser Radial silver medalist Annalize Murphy, the National Yacht Club is much more than that. It is also the spiritual home of the offshore sailing organization ISORA, the Dun Laoghaire to Dingle Race and the largest Flying Fifteen fleet in Ireland. Founded on a loyal membership, the National Yacht Club at East Pier at Dun Laoghaire on Dublin Bay enjoys a family philosophy and strong camaraderie in a relaxed atmosphere of support and friendship through sailing.
Bathed in the gentle ambiance of Dun Laoghaire waterfront, on the southern edge of County Dublin, the National Yacht Club has graced the waters of the Irish Sea and far beyond for over a century and in 2020 celebrates its 150th anniversary.
The club is particularly active in dinghy and one-design keelboat races and has hosted three world championships in recent years including the Flying Fifteen Worlds in 2003, 2019 and the SB3 Worlds in 2008. The ISAF Youth Worlds were co-organized with our neighboring club. the Royal St. George Yacht Club in 2012 …
Facilities include a slipway with direct access to Dun Laoghaire harbor, over eighty club moorings, platform parking, pontoons, refueling, watering and crane lifting ensure the NYC is perfectly equipped to meet all the needs of the contemporary sailor. Berths with diesel, water, electricity and overnight facilities are available for boaters, with shops within walking distance. The club is active year round with full dining and bar areas, and winter activities include bridge, billiards, quiz nights, wine tastings, and special events.
Although there are references to a ‘club’ active before 1870, history reports that the current clubhouse was erected in 1870 at a cost of £ 4000 to a design by William Sterling and that the Kingstown Royal Harbor Boat Club was registered with Lloyds in the same year. In 1872 the name was changed to Kingston Harbor Boat Club and this change was recorded at Lloyds.
In 1881 the premises were purchased by a Captain Peacocke and others who formed an owner club called Kingstown Harbor Yacht Club, again registered with Lloyds. Some six years later, in 1877, the building changed hands again and was purchased by a Mr. Charles Barrington. and between 1877 and 1901 the club was very active and operated for a time under the name “Absolute Club”, although this name change was never recorded.
In 1901 the lease was purchased by three trustees who registered it as the Edward Yacht Club. In 1930, at a time when the Edward Yacht Club was relatively inactive, a committee including the Earl of Granard approached the trustees with a proposal to form the National Yacht Club. The Earl of Granard had been a commodore of North Shannon YC and was a senator in the WTCosgrave government. An agreement was reached, the National Yacht Club was registered with Lloyds. The burgee club was created, red cross of Saint George with blue and white quarters being sky cloud, sea and surf. The Comte de Granard became the first commodore.
In July 1950, a warrant was issued to the National Yacht Club by the government under the Merchant Shipping Act authorizing members to hoist a club ensign in place of the national flag. The new sign to include a representation of the harp. This privilege is unique and specific to members of the National Yacht Club. Sterling’s design for the club’s exterior was a hybrid French chateau and 18th century garden pavilion and today, as a restricted Class A building, it continues to provide elegant dining and bar facilities.
One of the building’s earliest drawings shows viewing balconies on the roof and the waterfront façade. The subsequent additions of platforms and a new slide to the sea and, more recently, the construction of new changing rooms, offices and boathouse provide state-of-the-art facilities, capable of dealing with major international and world championship events. The club offers a wide range of sailing facilities, from junior training to family cruising, dinghy sailing to ocean racing and caters to most major classes of dinghies, one-design keelboats, sport boats and cruise racers. It provides training facilities under the ISA Youth Sailing program and national powerboat programs.
1931 – 42 Earl of Granard 1942 – 45 TJ Hamilton 1945 – 47 PM Purcell 1947 – 50 JJ O’Leary 1950 – 55 AA Murphy 1955 – 60 JJ O’Leary 1960 – 64 F. Lemass 1964 – 69 JC McConnell 1969 – 72 PJ Johnston 1972 – 74 L. Boyd 1974 – 76 FC Winkelmann 1976 – 79 PA Browne 1979 – 83 WA Maguire 1983 – 87 FJ Cooney 1987 – 88 JJ Byrne 1988 – 91 MF Muldoon 1991 – 94 BD Barry 1994 – 97 MPB Horgan 1997 – 00 B. MacNeaney 2000 – 02 IE Kiernan 2002 – 05 CNI Moore 2005 – 08 CJ Murphy 2008 – 11 PD Ryan 2011 – P. Barrington 2011-2014 Larry Power 2014-2017 Ronan Beirne 2017 – 2019